What Are Search Engines?
A web Search engine or internet search engine is a software system that is designed to carry out web search which means to search the World Wide Web in a systematic way for particular information specified in a textual web search query.
The search results are generally presented in a line of results, often referrd as search engine result pages. The information maybe a mix of links to web pages, images, videos, infographics, articles, research papers, and other types of files.Some Search engines also mine data available in databases or open directories.Internet content that is not capable of being searched by a web search engine is generally described as the deep web.
History Of Search Engines
Before the 1990s, Search Engines were non existent. The first search engine ever developed was Archie by a student named Alan Emtage who attended McGill University in Motreal. A year after they invented the World Wide Web(WWW).The early search engine crawled throuh an index of downloadable files.
- In 1991- Tim Berners - Lee , the inventor of the WWW,created a virtual library to help users find URLs for different websites.
- In 1993- Jumpstation brought a new leap with their linear search which showed a pages title and header in the same result. The search engine ranks results in the order they were found.
- In 1994- David Filo and Jerry Yang create Yahoo! Search.The site was the first collection of web pages across the internet. They include man-made descriptions for the URLs.Site owners can add informational sites for free, but commercial sites had to pay $300/year.
- Web Crawler - the same year that Yahoo! Search launched , saw the launch of web Crawler. They create the first search engine to index entire pages. The amount of data required to do the search engine too slow to use during the day.
- In 1995, Lycos search engine also launched in 1994. The search engine cataloged over 394,000 documents by August. By January 1995, they had over 1.5 million documents cataloged.
- In 1996, Larry Page and Sergey Brin created the predecessor to Google BackRubThe inital idea used Backlinks to help rank websites for better search.
- In 1998- Google launched
- In 2004, Microsoft launched their search engines MSN.
- In 2009, MSN/Live search becomes MSN.
- In 2015, Google unleashes Mobilegoddon to force websites to add mobile - friendly websites. The Chnage acknowledges the rapid rise in mobile search use.
- In 2017,Google penalized sites using interstitial and pop-up ads that destroy the mobile experience.